Scroll to top
How should I use a consultant?
- To address a specific issue or solve a specific problem, with measurable results or deliverables
- To support staff resources as a source of technical information and objective conclusions
What is the process to retain a consultant?
- Initial consultation to define scope of work and determine suitability of the consultant
- Written proposal detailing objectives, deliverables, milestones and costs.
- Contract or agreement
- Execution of assignment
- Report of conclusions and recommendations
- Report review
- Follow-up and/or Implementation
Can you name the 8 basic rules when using a consultant?
- Carefully review all documentation and check references as necessary to determine the consultant’s qualifications.
- Explain the problem clearly and never conceal any relevant facts.
- Explain your timetable, project scope, constraints and deliverables.
- Advise your staff about the reasons for hiring a consultant.
- Provide information and appropriate access to facilities and personnel.
- Pay invoices promptly.
- Provide feedback, positive or negative.
- Implement the recommendations as you choose.